Growth Mindset

 

Tips on developing growth mindset by @DrAlexDamazer
I have not heard of Carol Dweck before but I am familiar of the idea of growth mindset. In fact, I think I learn about growth mindset pretty much once per semester. The idea of growth mindset had been ingrained in my mind for awhile now. I think I am partial to both fixed and growth mindset in school work. I sometimes gave up on learning if I deem the work to be too much for me and it is something I need to work on. However, I think I have growth mindset in other areas of my life. For example, I am open-minded on the music I listen to, places I want to travel, and food I want to try. This semester will be a challenge for me as I will try to implement growth mindset in my academics. 

Growth Mindset could be flawed however, when there are other factors that could affect students academic success. The article "Grit and Growth Mindset: Deficit Thinking?" states that the growth mindset mostly affects adolescence more than adults. Also, the grading system actually has no correlation on the growth mindset experiment. Thomas also argues that the growth mindset programs can be harmful as it targets racial minorities and lower social class. The student's success is not just based on individual character and behavior but also external factors stated in the last sentence.

Comments

Popular Posts